Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanks to the Truthers

Nope, not being ironic here. I thank the Truthers (for once I won't use the scare quotes) for forcing me to educate myself on 9-11 better. For exposing me to many more of the heroes of that day that I did not know. We all know about Beamer, Glick, Burnett, Bingham, Nacke and the others on Flight 93. But there were many others, including:



Frank DeMartini, who used a crowbar to pry open elevator doors, saving many lives in the process.



Amy Sweeney and Betty Ong, flight attendants on American Airlines Flight 11, who calmly relayed information on the hijackers to the ground, giving us our first glimpse of the horror that was to ensue that day.



John O'Neill, who pursued Osama Bin Laden for years at the FBI, only to be killed by the latter's minions after taking over security at the World Trade Center.



The amazing Rick Rescorla. If you don't know who he is, take a minute or two to Google him; you'll be glad you did:

"Men of Cornwall stop your dreaming;
Can't you see their spearpoints gleaming?"




'Nuff said.

Labels: